[PD-dev] Gridflow & pd-extended

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Apr 1 20:59:48 CEST 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Alexandre Quessy wrote:

> Also, this would probably mean incuding Ruby 1.9 as well in the
> pd-extended package.

I'm working on getting GridFlow to be something more easily
binary-redistributable, and it means bundling Ruby with it.

> We are still getting errors when trying to compile it. Some fixes have
> been made to the CVS, but still, there are constants that have the same
> name than GF constants in Quartz.

Hmmm, have you tried it again recently? Have you followed the thread on
the gridflow-dev mailing-list? The changes I made with you at Vidéographe
were not committed, so later I went through all of them again with James
and fixed the last one that we hadn't fixed when you and I were at
Vidéographe.

> So, do you guys think that a GF version that has been compiled on OSX
> 10.3 would work on OSX 10.4 ?

Some differences between 10.3 and 10.4 affect only compilation (e.g. macro
name clashes). Apart from that, I don't know but I don't think that
there'd be much of a problem. I think James is running 10.4 nowadays.

> Then, if we finally get it to work on OSX 10.4, would it be a problem to
> incude Ruby 1.9 in the package ?

It won't be a problem to include Ruby 1.9 (or part thereof) in the
GridFlow packages, but that doesn't depend on the OS. I'll include Ruby on
all platforms.

It turns out that not all Ruby 1.9 versions are created equal (some are
more, er, equal than others). If I can make sure that everyone has got the
same bugs... and also if I made changes to Ruby and I want people to use
them... there are a lot of good reasons to switch to bundling Ruby.

> If so, it would mean that we would expect our users to install Ruby 1.9
> from CVS in the command-line and to set their PATH accordingly. That's a
> bit ankward in my opinion.

The new Makefile contains commands to download ruby-cvs automatically, but
setting the PATH isn't done automatically yet... I might do that in 0.8.4.