[PD-dev] Gridflow & pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Apr 1 19:45:44 CEST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Alexandre Quessy wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like Gridflow to be part of Pd-extended on Mac OS X. We almost
> got to compile Gridflow on OSX 10.4. Mathieu told me that James Tittle
> has succeded in compiling Gridflow on OSX 10.3. As Gridflow is now
> self-contained in a single directory, it is now easier than ever to
> include it in a packaged distribution of pd-extended. Also, this would
> probably mean incuding Ruby 1.9 as well in the pd-extended package.

Ruby would need to be installed separately.  Like using fink or apt-
get.  That's too much to put into the package.  Python is also not
included in Pd-extended tho [py] is.

> That being said, there are still changes in Apple's Quartz API that
> makes the port to OSX 10.4 difficult. We are still getting errors when
> trying to compile it. Some fixes have been made to the CVS, but still,
> there are constants that have the same name than GF constants in
> Quartz.
> (or something like that, got to get back to the code to see exactly
> what) So, do you guys think that a GF version that has been
> compiled on
> OSX 10.3 would work on OSX 10.4 ? This could be a dirty solution to
> these littles bugs. Otherwise, let's keep chasing the name clashes.

Something compiled on 10.3.9 (.9 is important!) should work fine on
10.4, I don't think Apple broke things that badly.  Things compiled
on 10.4 generally work on 10.3.9 too.

> Then, if we finally get it to work on OSX 10.4, would it be a
> problem to
> incude Ruby 1.9 in the package ? If so, it would mean that we would
> expect our users to install Ruby 1.9 from CVS in the command-line
> and to
> set their PATH accordingly. That's a bit ankward in my opinion.

Ruby really should be installed separately.  There must be installer
packages somewhere.  Ruby 1.8 is already included in Mac OS X.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore