[PD-dev] avoiding reuse of vectors in multichannel external

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 3 12:20:40 CEST 2006

/*j wrote:
> hello,
>
> 1)
> I'm currently experiencing what i think is reuse of signal vectors in
> the dsp-chain. it looks like input-vectors get overwritten with the
> output-vector before I'm done with my multichannel processing. in MSP
> there's a flag to prevent this. it's part of the x->pxobject the x-
>>x_obj.z_misc = Z_NO_INPLACE; flag. is there something equivalent in  PD?
> from the MSP docs: "If you set this bit in z_misc, the compiler will

even though msp is a port of pd, pd is not msp.
there is no such flag in pd, you have to take care of not overwriting
the input signal yourself.

> 2)
> what i could glean from the docs/pdf's there is no way a signal inlet
> could be used for message-input at the same time, is that correct or  is
> there a hack to get this work? i specifically need the left-most  inlet
> to set the objects state etc. what the standard way of dealing  with
> this in PD?

i don't know which docs/pdf's you are exactly reading, but pd has no
problem with the first (leftmost) inlet accepting both signals and messages.
there are plenty of externals that do that. have a look at [fiddle~] or
[bonk~].

,fg-asd-r
IOhannes