using gdb with Pd-extended on OSX WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Re: file library WAS: [folder_list]

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Apr 4 21:20:10 CEST 2006

On Apr 4, 2006, at 2:01 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
> Irrespective of any (possible) awkwardness of naming we need to be
> able
> to debug the thing, maybe there are two build options, one for a final
> "stable" release, and a different "testing" build that allows
> debugging.
>
> Ok, so I tried Jamie's instructions here. I used the name
> "Pd-0.39.2-extended-test1-pT-CVS" for the .app, and for the
> executable.
>
> I also changed the CFBundleExecutable flag in Info.plist to the same
> name. CFBundleName was not in the plist so I added it, also with the
> same name.
>
> After all that renaming gdb behaves the same as it did before, what
> did
> I miss? Do I need to add .app to the name in any of these places?
> (other
> than the obvious name of the .app itself)
>
> Hopefully we're getting there...

...seems I forgot to mention something, because I do this thru
XCode's gui:  in the Debug menu there's an option to Attach, and from
there you just select the process to attach to...one caveat here is
that I find I need to have created a gem window before looking in the
'attach' list (I've filed a radar bug to apple)...

...ok, so assuming that you now have two processes (visible via 'top')
running ("pd" & "Pd-0.39.2-extended-test1-pT-CVS"), you can also do
the above xcode attach with "gdb --pid=PID", where PID is the pid of
pd...then enjoy the wonders of gdb!

jamie