[PD-dev] CSS for PD ?

carmen ix at replic.net
Wed Apr 5 07:38:41 CEST 2006

On Tue Apr 04, 2006 at 10:34:56PM -0400, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was just wondering if it would be suitable, in a further version of
> PD, to implement styles sheets for the PD GUI. It could be CSS
> compliant and look like this : (much similar with XUL as well)

sure, just write your PD GUI in XUL..

> /* pd objects */
> .text {
>  background-color: #fc3;
>  text-color:black;
>  border: 2px groove #f00;
> }
>
> /* make all the canvases always in background*/
> .canvas {
>  z-index:-1;
> }
>
> /* canvas of class controlpanel (we could add a field class in properties */
> .canvas controlpanel {
>  background-color:yellow;
> }
>
> .... it's just an idea !

have you tried songbird? firefox is so damn bloated and slow i cant believe people are actually using it as an app platform. but hey, web2.0 is all about making feature/performance/bandwidth-limited versions of apps we've had for a decade, with the added bonus of them running on a remote server in an era when the client has plenty more CPU than ever before. but hey, i dont invest in this stuff...

if your interest is just tweaking out the GUi you can do all the grouping and attribute assignment you could want with the Tk Canvas..then if you run into something you cant do like 3D just install an extension like TkOGL or Zinc...

if your interest is a web-based GUI for PD, i'd proably be interested in this... do you know if any of the browser plugin versions of PD implemented a mini-http server that converted CGI params into PD messages?