CLR/C# was: Re: [PD-dev] Re: file library WAS: [folder_list]

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Wed Apr 5 14:51:40 CEST 2006

Am 05.04.2006 um 03:49 schrieb Kjetil S. Matheussen:

> Thomas Grill:
>>
>> Once these issues have been resolved i'm very positive that CLR/C#
>> can
>> be a full-featured and performant cross-platform alternative for PD
>> externals (including the dynamic scripting possibilites of
>> IronPython).
>>

> Well, although there are currently various quirks involved using
> the snd external, let me just add that the snd external compiles
> signal processing scheme code into very effective c code, and is
> very competetive performance-vice. (non-signal processing scheme
> code running inside snd is a completely different story though...)

My hope is that modern (or probably rather future) JIT compilers will
do exactly the same, namely background-compile intermediate byte-code
into very performant native code. My experiments with mono have shown
that this is true to some extent, although i can't give any figures
yet. I would bet that .NET is even better in this respect.

greetings,
Thomas

Thomas Grill
http://grrrr.org