[PD-dev] adding fontpath

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Apr 6 08:28:13 CEST 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 1:55 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:03 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> B. Bogart wrote:
>>> Hi James,
>>>
>>> This sounds really interesting, where can I get more info on what
>>> Johannes's has done?
>>
>> well, don't expect too much.
>> the main thing jamie talks about is, that Gem searches for fonts (and
>> other things like shaders, images,...) within pd's search path.
>> this allows you to just use "font courier.ttf" without having to
>> remember the full path at paching time, by simply adding some
>> system-specific search path to pd (like %WINDOWS%\Fonts\ or whereever
>> they are)
>>
>> this is clearly a good thing.
>> however, it doesn't really help you if you want to have a list of
>> "all
>> fonts installed on the system" (e.g. in a popup) so that the user can
>> select one of them.
>>
>> so i think another good thing to have would a [file/find] object that
>> searches for a given filename-pattern in pd's search path.
>>
>> a combination of these 2 things would (imho) be perfect, as it would
>> allow us to create a list of all (conveniently) available fonts (or
>> whatever) and allow us to access them via the objects.
>
> Anyone know a way to get the FontPath from X11 besides parsing it
> from XF86Config-4?  How about getting the font path in Mac OS X?
> It seems that it would be nice to have Pd just append the OS font
> path to the pd path on boot, if we are going to use the pd path for
> fonts.
>
> AFAIK, Windows stores all installed fonts into %SystemRoot%\Fonts.
>
> .hc

FYI: I added these paths to the script which generates the Pd-
extended pdsettings files:

GNULINUX_FONTPATH="/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/
TTF /usr/lib/X11/fonts /usr/share/fonts/truetype"
MACOSX_FONTPATH="/System/Library/Fonts /Library/Fonts /usr/X11R6/lib/
X11/fonts/TTF /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/
1.3.1/Home/lib/fonts /sw/lib/X11/fonts/msttf /sw/lib/X11/fonts/intl/
TrueType /sw/lib/X11/fonts/applettf"
WINDOWS_FONTPATH="%SystemRoot%/Fonts"

Future versions of Pd-extended will include these in the path if you
install the pdsettings file.

____

                             http://at.or.at/hans/