[PD-dev] "object" lib

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 7 11:25:41 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Pd is not an object-oriented programming language, so a classtree is
> totally irrelevant.

There are things that are both called OOP and don't have classes.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_programming_language)

>  There is no inheritance whatsoever, for example.

Chances are that one of my next externals is going to be called [super].
Half of the reason why PureUnity is on hold is because I need multiple
inheritance but I don't know how yet.

> Its as Object-Oriented as any procedural language.

I've got a problem with that taxonomy. I'd rather say that almost all OOP
languages are procedural: that is because the concept of method is an
extension of the concept of procedure.

Even putting PureData in the dataflow category is debatable, because
there's too much dependency on execution order (not really because [t]
exists, but because [t] has to be used so often!).

> I don't think that Pd should have inheritance, its a totally paradigm.

I don't think that people should have paradigms.