[PD-dev] "object" lib

carmen ix at replic.net
Sat Apr 8 06:12:43 CEST 2006

> At the level of patching, inheritance can be partially replaced by deeply
> nested abstractions and a lot of [route]s, though those who'd like to
> implement mixins are screwed. How would you emulate virtual inheritance
> with abstractions and [route] ?

inside a patch needing a few additional methods (assuming it has a single inlet), i'd just wire in any number of abstractions in series. inside those abstractions would be a route, for the methods which the mixin abstractions implement.. i havent actually tried this. im fairly sure i would consider my OSC/message recording things a mixin as well, simply create one in a subpatch, and you have a local send/recieve variable which can forward arbitrary messages to the global 'recording agent'..similar to AOP logging..

in any case there are definitely OO concepts at play, in a world where structs-within-structs or creative $0 tricks are as close as one can currently go.

Hans, if youre stilll reading, how does 'meta' sound? i do like the idea of collecting all these dynamic patching things in one place..