[PD-dev] Compiling pd against Tcl/Tk X11 on Darwin

Henrik Frisk henrik.frisk at mhm.lu.se
Wed Apr 12 09:33:29 CEST 2006

> A Fink package of Pd-extended would be quite nice.  Tigital has been
> talking about it because it would be faster and the GUI will use less
> CPU.

I will take a look at it. I don't have a whole lot of time at the moment
so don't expect any results within the next few weeks. Although I have a
feeling that most people using Macs prefer the look of the Aqua
interface I think it would be nice with the choice of being able to
easily install and run pd under non-aqua X11.

> The C code will probably be easy to get going, but there is going to
> be some added checks on the Tcl/Tk side of things (pd/src/u_main.tk
> aka pd.tk).  Basically, the GUI only checks the OS not the Windowing
> engine.  So you'll have to add checks to pd/src/u_main.tk.  In an
> installed app its known as bin/pd.tk, but its the exact same file.
>

> This is the command you'll need: tk windowingsystem
>
> which returns one of
>
>   aqua
>   win32
>   x11
>
> tk::mac::useCGDrawing is a Tk/Aqua-only command, so that might be the
> only change needed.

Thanks for these tips.

/henrik