[PD-dev] "object" lib

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Apr 15 08:28:50 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 01:44:50AM -0400, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006, Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> > Yes, point taken. But in my opinion, there isn't a one-to-one exact
> > match between these concepts in programming and Pd patching. Patching is
> > not programming. It's like programming. A number of features of
> > 'patching' intersect with those of 'programming'.
>
> What's the use of distinguishing 'patching' and 'programming' ?

What's the use in ignoring the differences between 'patching' and
'programming'?

> > Maybe we should stop thinking "The diagram is the program. (TM)"
> > and start thinking "The diagram is the audio/visual [real time]
> > composition." instead. That is certainly closer to how I use Puredata.
>
> The reason why I started the "Diagram is the Program" campaign is because
> there isn't much of a difference between a contemporary interactive
> composition and a program.

To some, contemporary interactive composition is a very different
activity to programming. This is a personal and subjective thing to do
with the way in which each person uses Pd, but for many people they are
very different activities. You can not categorically make the statement
that artistic patching is the exact same thing as computer programming.

> Making a distinction doesn't bring much good,
> and even if the distinction is kept, people will keep on trying to close
> the gap. That is happening even though many of those involved the gap
> don't believe that the gap ought to be closed!

Sure, go ahead, close the gap. All the more interesting software for
everyone. I will continue to use Pd as an artistic tool.

Best,

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://mccormick.cx