[PD-dev] Fwd: Re: new external, please add me to the CVS dev

geiger at xdv.org geiger at xdv.org
Fri Apr 28 18:36:41 CEST 2006

----- Forwarded message from David Merrill <dmerrill at media.mit.edu> -----
    Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:58:15 -0400
    From: David Merrill <dmerrill at media.mit.edu>
 Subject: Re: new external, please add me to the CVS dev
      To: geiger at xdv.org

Hi Guenter -

Sure, no problem. An email I wrote to the pd-dev list yesterday bounced,
since I am not on the list yet - but if you can forward it, that would
be great.

The external can scan for given input devices in linux and spit out the
device file descriptor (i.e. /dev/input/event5) so that a particular
device can be automatically connected to a patch when it's plugged in,
or when the patch is started - rather than having to hard-code the
descriptor - so it allows for a kind of "plug-and-play" for input
devices. I've been using it with hans-christoph's linuxjoystick in order
to avoid hard-coding the file descriptor, meaning that patch can always
start up and be "live" regardless of what order devices were plugged in,
etc.

thanks,
-David

geiger at xdv.org wrote:
> Quoting David Merrill <dmerrill at media.mit.edu>:
>

>> hello Guenter -
>> Can I be given developer permissions for the pure-data CVS? I have a new
>> external that I'd like to share with the rest of the community.
>> thanks!
>>

> Hi David,
>
> I am forwarding your request to the pd developers list, as this is the
> place where we normaly discuss additions. Maybe you can also explain
> what your external does, in order to not duplicat functionality.
>
> Greetings,
> Günter

MIT Media Lab
dmerrill at media.mit.edu