[PD-dev] Re: new external, please add me to the CVS dev

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Mon May 1 04:03:45 CEST 2006

Sure, I don't mind introducing myself -I  wouldn't want there to be a
double-standard..

Hi everyone, I'm David Merrill. My computer-music-related interests
revolve around the design and construction of new musical instruments,
and more broadly, human-computer interaction. I've been working with pd
since about 2001, when I was a masters student in computer science at
Stanford doing coursework at CCRMA, the university's computer-music
center. Since then, I have built a number of projects using pd, including:

 - a signal external in C that allows parameterized 'morphing' between a
sine wave and a square wave, allowing for nice "rounded corners" square
waves anywhere in-between.

 - a digital, computer-vision-based, rotating-platter "music box"
inspired midi instrument.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/cool.html

 - a singing-on-pitch training program that used Miller's [fiddle~]
object to track vocal singing pitch and a haptic backpack to deliver
vibrotactile feedback to help a singer correct in realtime.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/tactile_performance.html

 - an "attentional mixer" that ramps volume levels of different audio
streams up and down based on the user's facial orientation towards
various physical objects
(.MOV video) http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/images/AM_web_512kbsec.mov

 - an "adaptive music controller" - a musical instrument that learns to
map a person's custom gestures and continuous manipulations to triggered
sounds and continuous effect parameters
http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/adaptive_controller.html

 - a joystick-based voice sampler/triggerer/looper/shifter/scrubber
sound play application.

..and I'm sure there are more small, one-off projects that I am
forgetting (like my 7:30AM low-passed white noise program that hacked
quickly and turned up LOUD to muffle the jackhammer that had unkindly
started up outside my window in Boston). I am a competent C and Tcl/Tk
programmer, though most of my time in PD is spent at the patch-creation
level (fortunately).

My current pd-related project is to build a 'road-hardened', 'gig-ready'
pd-based portable audio-processing system that is extremely robust and
'plug-and-play' in the sense that you can plug in a controller and it
begins to work immediately.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~dmerrill/audiopint.html

Anyway, the reason I wanted to be a developer on the CVS is that I have
built an external that can scan for input devices in linux and output
the file descriptor (i.e. /dev/input/event5), so that the device(s) can
be dynamically loaded and their location doesn't have to be hard-coded
into the patch. The hardware scan can happen as the result of a [bang],
or can be triggered when new hardware (i.e. a USB joystick, for example)
is plugged into the system. I imagine that this external will be useful
to people (a) as-is, for making their patches more robust against
accidental un-plugging/re-plugging or the order in which devices are
plugged in, and (b) as an example of how to use the linux hardware
abstraction layer (hal) and dbus to scanning for devices more generally,
that can be modified and used in many contexts.

well, that's my story - did I pass the test? ;)
best regards,
-David Merrill