[PD-dev] font tests

Andre Schmidt andre at osku.de
Thu May 4 12:39:34 CEST 2006

which font do you mean ?

- menus and overall gui ?
- the embedded stdout ?
- patch canvas ?

for the menus and overall gui i dont see any reason why to use a
fixed-width font...

the embedded stdout reads better with fixed-width font, but should be
very small (the window too), if you need more, resize or use it as its
supposed to be used, flag: -stdout (oh, its called -stderr ? is it
really going to stderr, why?)

removing that embedded stdout from pd main window when used with
-stderr(-stdout) flag could be nice...

in the canvas window i realised that fixed-width fonts are better to
read than non-fixed-width fonts, well i just compared "Bitstream Vera
Sans Mono" and "Bitstream Vera Sans"

why am i referring "bitstream" ? its open source ttf font !

which "courier" do you mean ? ;)

and yes, i was thinking on a font preferences dialog too, but first i
would like to know how many *different fonts do we have/need ?
*i count different sizes of the same font as "different" too...

thinking on fonts...
-andre

ps. i used to be for bitmap fonts, but now i wont go back from tcl/tk8.5
--enable-xft ;) (it really is more enjoyable to read antialiased fonts!)