[PD-dev] CVS/SVN @ iem (was Re: [GEM-dev] CVS...)

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Tue May 9 18:28:41 CEST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, David Plans Casal wrote:
> On 9 May 2006, at 11:32, geiger wrote:
>
> > The principal problem seems to be the host, not CVS. So finding a
> > better
> > host could solve that problem.
>
> Other than IEM (sorry if I assume wrongly here), do we have any other
> offers or candidate hosts?

AFAIK there are currently no concrete offers, but IEM is a candidate. We
can also switch to any other (probably not so famous and therefore
faster) free version control sites such as Berlios
(http://developer.berlios.de/) or Savannah (http://savannah.nongnu.org/)

> > The svn transition is just an addon, which could be done at the
> > same time
> > but doesn't address the same problem.
>
> It does ;-)

It only solves the problem if svn on sourceforge is more stable than CVS.
Otherwise its about changing the host, the version control system doesn't
matter as long as it is a centralized system such as CVS or SVN.

It would have to be a dezentralized system such as monotone
http://www.venge.net/monotone/, git (http://git.or.cz/) or GNU arch
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/) in order to really affect the
problem that we have with sourceforge.

> If we moved to something like Trac [1], we could solve the problem
> whereby we have an svn repository somewhere, and bug/issue tracking
> somewhere else. Just a thought.

Thats a possibility, but where to put them and who does the maintainance
is the primary question for every centralized service. Our main problem
currently is that, for whatever reason, sourceforge doesn't keep up
with its maintainance. If we move to something different we should
make sure that this gets better.

Günter