[PD-dev] new developer - jasch

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed May 10 19:12:13 CEST 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, /*j wrote:

> my experience with code has been mainly with max-externals and i offer a
> collection of over a hundred objects for free download.

That's a quite impressive list. How many of them are abstractions and
how many are written in C ?

BTW I'm curious about what you use [xorlist] for...

> i'm now interested in porting most of these objects to PD, on the one
> hand for selfish reasons: to have my tools available for my own work,
> but also with the idea of sharing them the same way than i do in
> Max/MSP.

Most of those should be really easy to port if they are written in C: you
mostly have to just search-and-replace some struct names.

Abstractions are a little bit harder because I don't know of a MAX->Pd
file converter (does Krzysztof know?).

Some of the externals will be harder because they use functions that are
outside the intersection between MAX and Pd APIs. (By intersection I mean
things that don't have a direct equivalent so that you can't port it by
a dumb search-and-replace)

You will have to be careful about nameclashes. You may also find that
several of your externals already have an equivalent under another name in
Pd.