[PD-dev] new developer - jasch

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 10 22:35:41 CEST 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2006, /*j wrote:
>
>> my experience with code has been mainly with max-externals and i offer a
>> collection of over a hundred objects for free download.
>
> That's a quite impressive list. How many of them are abstractions and
> how many are written in C ?
>
> BTW I'm curious about what you use [xorlist] for...
>
>> i'm now interested in porting most of these objects to PD, on the one
>> hand for selfish reasons: to have my tools available for my own work,
>> but also with the idea of sharing them the same way than i do in
>> Max/MSP.
>
> Most of those should be really easy to port if they are written in C: you
> mostly have to just search-and-replace some struct names.

Anyone have a colection of these search-and-replace patterns?  It would be
good to start a script in scripts/ that does all these.  Ultimately it
should be possible to script most if not all of the process.

> Abstractions are a little bit harder because I don't know of a MAX->Pd
> file converter (does Krzysztof know?).

This could also be a script.

> Some of the externals will be harder because they use functions that are
> outside the intersection between MAX and Pd APIs. (By intersection I mean
> things that don't have a direct equivalent so that you can't port it by
> a dumb search-and-replace)
>
> You will have to be careful about nameclashes. You may also find that
> several of your externals already have an equivalent under another name in
> Pd.

Nameclashes aren't such an issue with namespaces/Pd-extended.  But yes,
its good to avoid needless nameclashes.

.hc