[PD-dev] CVS/SVN @ iem (was Re: [GEM-dev] CVS...)

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Thu May 11 10:01:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:38:35 -0400 (EDT)
Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:
<snip>

> So I'd hand out a user account to, say, Günther and/or some more people.
> How does SVN manage user perms? Or CVS? Is there a way to be safer than
> :pserver: but without requiring setting up system-wide accounts for all
> ~55 developers?

If you use svnserve, it uses an MD5 based key exchange mechanism, with user credentials stored in a flat text file. You can also use it in tunnel mode, in which case, you authenticate against unix credentials over SSH. The alternative is to use Apache + mod_dav_svn (more flexible), in which case you can use any authentication mechanisms supported by Apaache, LDAP, http basic auth etc.

I would of thought that the nicest way to do this would be to run an LDAP service and use it to manage svn users/groups as well as Zope users/groups and authentication for the puredata site. Of course, that's significantly more work.

Jamie