[PD-dev] new developer - jasch

/*j jasch at kat.ch
Fri May 12 10:34:33 CEST 2006

On 10 May 2006, at 19:12, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2006, /*j wrote:
>
>> my experience with code has been mainly with max-externals and i
>> offer a
>> collection of over a hundred objects for free download.
>
> That's a quite impressive list. How many of them are abstractions and
> how many are written in C ?

all of them are full blown C-objects.

> BTW I'm curious about what you use [xorlist] for...

i used it to code the BCC in DIN66019II protocol whcih was used to
control electrical motors on a theater set...
see www.incidentsmemorables.org -> la pensee

>> i'm now interested in porting most of these objects to PD, on the one
>> hand for selfish reasons: to have my tools available for my own work,
>> but also with the idea of sharing them the same way than i do in
>> Max/MSP.
>
> Most of those should be really easy to port if they are written in
> C: you
> mostly have to just search-and-replace some struct names.

not quite...
as i found out there are some more differences, the missing int being
the most prominent, and the vector alisasing being the most annoying.

> Abstractions are a little bit harder because I don't know of a MAX->Pd
> file converter (does Krzysztof know?).
>
> Some of the externals will be harder because they use functions
> that are
> outside the intersection between MAX and Pd APIs. (By intersection
> I mean DIN
> things that don't have a direct equivalent so that you can't port
> it by
> a dumb search-and-replace)

exactly, some externals won't be portable because they use Max
specific APIs and/or patcherstructures.

> You will have to be careful about nameclashes. You may also find that
> several of your externals already have an equivalent under another
> name in
> Pd.

well, if you look at the list of names on my website you'll see that
i avoid any max-names and try to come up with unique stuff, but i can
always add a prefix or something. the worst offender is probably the
string-lib with names like strcat (present in GEM i think), but it
would be stupid to change these names because they correspond exactly
to the c-function they enclose.

when in doubt i'll consult you people.

/*j