[PD-dev] outlet_anything() & threads

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed May 17 16:49:45 CEST 2006

On May 17, 2006, at 2:31 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> hi all
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> well, this is one of the most common mistakes when designing low
>>> latency
>>> systems ... there are problems, that occur only in very few
>>> cases ... so
>>> you don't experience the dropout during 10 days of rehearsal, but
>>> during
>>> the performance you have a click ...
>>> in these cases analyzing the code is a better approach than
>>> testing ...
>> I disagree.  For me practice is much more important than theory.
>> There
>
> both of you, please do calm down, this is getting really emotional
> for no reason (probably i don't see the brick in my eye and i might
> have put some oil into the fire too)
>
> hans is perfectly right, when he considers practice very important,
> and often more important than theory: things tend to work in theory
> but not in practice, because sometimes you just cannot foresee
> everything.
>
> tim is perfectly right when he says that often problems occur very
> seldom (which might make them invisible during long periods) but
> nevertheless they might occur (which - according to murphy (haven't
> heard of him for a long time, btw) - will happen when you are not
> really prepared for them): things tend to work in practice but only
> _most of the time_, because practice can never consider all cases.
>
> so both theory and practice are good ways to keep problems low, but
> none of them can make all problems go away (that's the bad news)
> the good news is, that applying both approaches can lower the
> amount of problems even more.
>
> so none of your approaches is better, but both are.
> so why don't you just join forces?

Somebody slipped IOhannes something!  Where's the sarcasm?  Or maybe
its an impostor!

(a very big ;)

I am not trying to make this a personal argument, but I think its an
interesting issue.  And debate can be a very useful way to bring the
issues to the forefront, as long as everyone plays nice.  For me, Pd
is the test bed to test new ideas.  Max/MSP is a very high quality
production tool without strict adherence to the Max paradigm.  For
example, JavaScript for GUIs instead of graphical programming, and
the use of threads rather than trying to stick with the real-time
scheduling.

As for this question, threads will work, that I know.  But I am
interested in trying to find more Pd-ish ways of doing things.  So
this might fail entirely.

____

scarcity."
                                                      -John Gilmore