[PD-dev] when to add "x_" to your object's struct elements

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 25 11:13:03 CEST 2006

I was wondering if there is any kind of logic for when a struct
element should start with x_ and when it shouldn't.  Here's the
struct from a new object I am working on:

typedef struct _usbhid
{
	t_object            x_obj;
/* usbhid types */
	HIDInterface        *x_hidinterface;
	u_int8_t            x_iSerialNumber;
	hid_return          x_hid_return;
/* internal state */
	unsigned int        debug_level;  // control debug messages to the
console
	t_int               x_device_number;
	t_int               x_read_element_count;
	t_int               *x_read_elements;
	t_int               x_write_element_count;
	t_int               *x_write_elements;
	t_int               report_size;  // size in bytes of the HID report
/* output */
	t_atom              *output; // holder for a list of atoms to be
outputted
	t_int               output_count;  // number of atoms in in x->output
	t_outlet            *x_data_outlet;
	t_outlet            *x_status_outlet;
} t_usbhid;

Which elements should start with "x_" and which shouldn't?

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism."
                                     - retired U.S. Army general,
William Odom