[PD-dev] debugging pd with gdb or ddd

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Fri May 26 21:12:55 CEST 2006

On 26 May 2006, at 19:48, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Can anyone give a brief HOWTO for using ddd or gdb with Pd?

I realise this is -too- basic, perhaps, but...

I use GDB by simply calling gdb from a shell, or from emacs. Then
running pd form either /usr/local/lib/pd/bin/pd (or similar) or from
within the Pd.app (in OSX) is simply a matter or giving gdb the pd
program as a flag, such as:

'gdb bin/pd'

The last message should read:

"This GDB was configured as "powerpc-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols
for shared libraries ....... done"

Then you can call:

'run'

And you should see something like:

<snip>
(gdb) run
Starting program: /Applications/Pd.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd
Reading symbols for shared libraries ........done
Pd version 0.39-2extended-test1
</snip>

Once you see: "compiled 01:26:33 Feb 27 2006"

Pd should then start, and gdb should give you nice output...

(sorry if all this is obvious)