[PD-dev] call for discussion: native video for Pd

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sat May 27 21:46:00 CEST 2006

> > But anyway, I'll probably make it conditionally compilable in other
> > formats so we can just benchmark it and find out for sure.
> >

> why conditional? why not runtime-selectable, per branch/subpatch?
> i mean, there are quite some formats actively in use, like rgb(a), yuv,
> hsb ...

[]
> greets,
>
> chris

The trouble I see with supporting a bunch of formats like yuv is that you
end up writing separate code for each format... and I'm trying hard to keep
Pd as small and clean as possible.  I think that if the API is carefully
enough designed, it should be possible to use external libraries to handle
specific video formats.  This is a different issue from what data type to
use for the individual numbers (float or char, for example).

I think that allowing a compile-time typedef to set the data type of
a single video sample should add only a small amount of code, and then if
it turns out that one format really is better than the others, there's no
need to support run-time selection.  On the other hand, if it turns out
that each sample format has advantages and disadvantages, then it might be
necessary to go all out and support polymorphic video sample types.  That
would be ugly and I'm hoping to avoid it if at all possible.

cheers