[PD-dev] getting Pd logical time in C

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Jun 3 00:26:00 CEST 2006

I guess I should really post some example code:

int timestamp;

hid_get_events(x)
{
    // fill an array with the data that I get
}

hid_read(x)
{
     int right_now = get_logical_time();
     if(right_now > timestamp)
	hid_get_events_into_array(x);
     hid_output_events_from_array(x);
}

.hc

On Jun 3, 2006, at 12:21 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Actually, I think logical time would work perfectly for what I am
> trying to do.  I want to have the first instance that is executed
> in any given cycle run a function, but none of the rest.  As far as
> I understand, the instance that is created first is not necessarily
> the first one to execute in each cycle.
>
> So if I run the function, then set a global variable to the logical
> time, then next instance would check the logical time against that
> global variable.  If it was equal, it would skip that function.
> That should guarantee that the first instance to execute in a given
> cycle will execute that function, rather than just using instance 0.
>
> Any comments or suggestions appreciated, as usual.  So... how do I
> get the logical time?  Time to dig...
>
> .hc
>
> On May 19, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
>
>> Logical time wouldn't work for that, as two objects in the same
>> patch are
>> created at teh same logical time.  I'd suggest code like:
>>
>> {
>>   static int initted = 0;
>>   if  (!initted)
>>   {
>>     .. this code only runs once ..
>>     initted = 1;
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 11:37:45AM +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I want to get the logical time so I can make the first instance of
>>> the object execute something while the rest do not execute.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as how to do this?
>>>
>>> .hc

>>> ____
>>> ____
>>>
>>> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
>>>                                                               -
>>> Eldridge Cleaver

> ______
>
> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
>                                                               -
> Eldridge Cleaver

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy
is related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra