[PD-dev] call for discussion: native video for Pd

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Jun 4 08:23:36 CEST 2006

On 6/3/06, Miller Puckette <mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> excellent question...  it might prove that all I'd need, besides the
> changes to block~, would be to write a larger suite of objects based
> on pix_sig2pix and pix_pix2sig (for a wide variety of access styles and
> interpolations).

One of the more time consuming (and potentially frustrating) aspects of
video systems is the dealing with the various APIs for reading and writing
frames.  Using the existing libraries to handle those chores would save some
redundant effort.

Can you go into more detail about the revisions to block~?  My rough
calculations put a 720x480 YCbCr image at about 64 times the data of a
single 96khz audio signal.  RGBA is double that.

By the way, has anyone ever fixed pix_texture so that it can take
> non-power-of-two image sizes?  (I assume it's still true that pix_texture
> is the fastest way to display an image - if that's still true, it would
> be important to support at least arbitrary rectangles...)

Rectangle textures work on Linux, Mac and Windows now.  Right now all three
handle RGBA, but only OSX has native support for YCbCr (the other two
require software conversion to RGBA before upload).