[PD-dev] call for discussion: native video for Pd

Miller Puckette mpuckett at imusic1.ucsd.edu
Sun Jun 4 18:10:52 CEST 2006

Hmm, revisions to block~.

I think it would suffice to offer a flag, as in "nlock -manualsync 234 ..."
that would decare the local block size to, say, 234 samples and require that
one ban the block~ object to run one block of 'audio' computation
I'd still require that subblocks that aren't "-manualsync" be a power of
two multiple or quotient of the parent to make the inlet~/outlet~ code
manageable, but if "-manualsync" were on I'd simply disable inlet~/outlet~
as undefined behavior.

One thing I'll be concerned about eventually is getting video input into
a storage buffer without the need for an intermediary.  I don't know whether
Gem's storage buffers (as in pix_multiimage) are easily enough visible to
C code to work in this way.  In other words, if pix_multiimage just
instructs openGL to read a file into its own buffer somewhere, then it's
not easily available for me to write random-access interpolating "tabread4~"
style objects that use it.

cheers
Miller