[PD-dev] common date format for Pd

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Jun 12 19:28:16 CEST 2006

Hi all,
it may depend on the actual application, but generally i don't think
that symbols are a good idea.
Every generated symbol uses an entry in the symbol table and stays in
memory until PD is restarted, which effectively is a memory leak for
varying data.
Since i use messages like [double hi lo( with summed single-precision
parts hi and lo to represent double-precision numbers, i would suggest
something like [date ymd hms( where ymd and hms are some numbers that
get encoded and decoded by some objects.

greetings,
Thomas