[PD-dev] pd and blender integration?

Julian Oliver julian at selectparks.net
Mon Jun 19 00:06:17 CEST 2006

hi,

..on Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 05:02:36PM -0300, glauber alex dias prado wrote:
> Hi im new to this list and also new to pd, i am currently translating
> the pd manual into portuguese (my native language) for others have
> access to it, i was introduced to pd by Frank BarKnecht trough the
> linux-audio mailing list and it really amazed me this structure is very
> ample there isnt near limits with this interface.
>
> The fact that im posting to this list is i am a 3d CG artist and my main
> software to produce images and animations is blender and it has a lack
> of audio synthesis features. So i thought how good it would be to have
> pd implemented inside blender so everyone in the "blender" world could
> be real and complete animations inside of that soft, this is something
> that i would like to try as an experience to take pd into blender,
> blender has a node interface that could very well be used to this task
> though it isnt so mature yet.
>
> So i have some questions is this thing that im willing to do
> "make-able"? If so does someone here has some points where i could begin
> to do this thing? i was looking for a mentorship thing also but i think
> that most of you dont have the time now to teach a kid, anyway points
> and against-points are welcome

while I like the idea, it's so trivial to add OSC networking to a Blender
project (runtime or animation) using the Blender Python API, those that know
PD already may actually lose functionality having it integrated; one of
the primary advantages of PD used with a Blender project is that it doesn't
have to be running on the same machine. control can also be passed the other way,
eg using PD to control Blender objects and animations.

to give you an idea of how simple it is, here's a basic demo runtime file (Linux),
patch and code i wrote, that allows Blender objects to control PD events
(great for 3D mixer interfaces, game audio, acoustic simulations):

	http://selectparks.net/~julian/index.php?entry=entry050908-212057

that said i'd love to see the lean OpenGL interface of Blender
used as a patch editing environment.. mmm OOPs-like zoomable patches..

(much faster that tcl/tk too ;))

julian

--