[PD-dev] fftw in vanilla pd (was Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 4)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jun 20 01:39:24 CEST 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:

>    It is wonderful that free, highly optimized libraries like FFT_BRANDX exist.
> But such libraries carry a huge burden of complexity necessary to extract every
> last bit of performance.
>    Sometimes simpler is better, even if it's not better.

Sometimes something complex is not "better", it's just the only choice.

For the case of Pd's audio, people are used to be limited to power-of-two
blocksizes and there's only one dimension to take care of, so kiss_fft can
be an idea... *if* FFT_BRANDX really means FFTW and that kiss_fft really
is faster than that and in which year(s) (for which versions) it is/was
true.

For GridFlow, I need to support multidimensional FFT on interleaved data,
with non-power-of-two index ranges. E.g. with a 240x320x3 image, do a FFT
of 240 elements along each column/channel combination, a FFT of 320
elements along each row/channel combination, and not doing FFT in the
third direction (channels) which is what i call "interleaved" here.