[PD-dev] fftw in vanilla pd (was Re: PD-cvs Digest, Vol 16, Issue 4)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jun 20 06:44:23 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >   It is wonderful that free, highly optimized libraries like FFT_BRANDX
> >   exist.
> >But such libraries carry a huge burden of complexity necessary to extract
> >every
> >last bit of performance.
> >   Sometimes simpler is better, even if it's not better.
>
> Sometimes something complex is not "better", it's just the only choice.
>
> For the case of Pd's audio, people are used to be limited to power-of-two
> blocksizes and there's only one dimension to take care of, so kiss_fft can
> be an idea... *if* FFT_BRANDX really means FFTW and that kiss_fft really
> is faster than that and in which year(s) (for which versions) it is/was
> true.

I'm quite sure, that FFT_BRANDX means FFTW, however kiss isn't faster,
it's slower than FFTW:

  "4. FFT_BRANDX is roughly twice as fast as KISS FFT in default
  mode."

The kiss author later also writes, one should not "use Kiss if you
need the Fastest Fourier Transform in the World", which is another
play with FFTW.

There are some little benchmarks included in kiss_fft, so you may want
to try it yourselfs.

Ciao