[PD-dev] using ugen_getsortno() in an external

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 23 20:38:03 CEST 2006

On Jun 23, 2006, at 5:59 AM, zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> Zitat von Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>

>>> I haven't looked at the code, but from the name it seems that
>>> ugen_getsortno() only applies to the dsp graph, not to general
>>> message objects.
>>>
>>> You could implement your idea by having a global flag that shows
>>> you which instance has been executed first
>>
>> How would that flag get reset with each DSP cycle?
>
> by setting it to zero in the perform routine :-)

That would defeat the whole purpose since every instance would then
execute the perform routine.

> honestly, as günther suggest, i don't see any reason to connect [hid]
> with the dsp graph.
> this object is a message object (unless i missed [hid~]), and should
> stay away from signal data as far as it can.
>
> i thought i suggested that once when you first asked for that: why
> don't you just get the logical time with Pd's API and compare that to
> the time when one of these objects was last executed?
> static variables within the function might be the clue...

Hmm, I tried that and there was a problem which I am now forgetting.
I tried ugen_getsortno() on Miller's suggestion:

Subject: getting Pd logical time in C
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2006-06/006964.html

Miller also mentioned that logical time wouldn't work for this.  But
I'll try it again and get some specifics.

publicity.          - Bill Moyers