[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Jun 23 23:48:12 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Jamie Bullock hat gesagt: // Jamie Bullock wrote:

> I second that - I think it would be a very useful feature. However,
> I think the colour should be quite subtle so as to not look too much
> like an error (red) or another alert message. Perhaps it should also
> be an option, so that people can turn 'colour mode' off if they
> really do just want black and white (or perhaps slightly better
> performance).

I would prefer something like a tooltip. IIRC I never ran into the
problem of taking an argument to still be valid so a different color
would just distract me. I mean, *a lot* of objects get a different
value from the initialized one soon after a patch was loaded, for
example every [f 0]X[+ 1] counter or many [osc~ 440]. And they might
even be at their default value again for some time later, so a
different color sounds a little bit useless.

Additionally I think, that there is no natural connection between the
graphical signal: "object colored differently" and the information to
be transported: "default value is overwritten". A tooltip however
would directly display the needed information, so the connection
between the graphical event and the information displayed is very
close.

And last: When printed - I know Hans doesn't do that, but ... ;) -
when printed, all objects should look the same, regardless what value
they hold currently.

Ciao