[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

padawan12 padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sat Jun 24 18:16:47 CEST 2006

All great ideas. This really needs a separate mode, kinda "debug" mode as
Georg mentioned. Problem with updating values in the object is they might
be extrememly large or small. How to display that is a problem, we don't
want objects shrinking and growing in length, yet truncating values might
be misleading.

An couple of ideas I had for debug are:

to have a "sniff" cursor. When you hold it on a connection or outlet it
displays a small box with the type and values of data flowing in the
pipe in a time ordered list. When you release the mouse it freezes and
the box remains until you do something to dispose of it.

 [object that does something]
  |          |             |
  |          |             |
  |          |             X<-[ type: float value 1.3425e-11 ]
                              [ type: bang  value: null      ]
                              [ type: symbol value: "clicked"]

Extending this principle, I quite often want to sniff audio signals
as I work down a flow, a cursor mode that just grabs what is there
straight to the DAC (or video window for you GEM freaks) would be
mighty useful. Actually having it route to a named send~/receive~
would be best so I could decide how to handle it with a compressor
or pop it up on an attenuated desk channel. Right now I find the
only way to debug is to make and break lots of temporary connections.

Another idea is taken straight from standard fare code debugging, to
have a single step or breakpoint. Right now I do this with a conditional
that bangs a [;dsp 0] but for obvious reasons it's less than ideal.

Just crazy thoughts...
Andy