[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jun 24 11:08:39 CEST 2006

Zitat von carmen <_ at whats-your.name>:

>> Personally, I find tooltips far more distracting that just a tiny
>> bit of color on the screen.
>
> under your scheme, if the patch is even remotely alive, much of it is
> going to turn red right after opening
>
> what about displaying the init value in black, and the current value
> in red or green, depending on whether its rising or falling
>
> eg _=___=___
>  | osc~ 440|
>  |      557|
>  |     (hz)|
>  -=---------

hmm, that is a good example:
[osc~]s inlet is basically a signal inlet: if you send a message [float
557( to it, it actually receives a signal with all samples set to
557.0f.
should we display all values for the entire sample block or just the
first value?

> or something (i even forget if osc~ has one outlet its been so long
> since i touched pd) clicking on 440 would reset it (so you dont need
> to cluter the patch with an extra [440(

do i understand you correctly, that you want to replace a clickeable
area which is 100% controllable by the user by another clickable area
which is predefined in order to make things less cluttered?

you can do a lot of things with gop objects. for a (non-working)
example see the attachment; this example brings to my mind, that it
would be far more important to make abstractions equal to externals and
vice versa (e.g. the "default signal" is missing in abstractions)

in understand the need for an "inspector" of the current value.
personally i would prefer to inspect things on demand over a permanent
notice of what goes on in my patch (in the best of worlds i know what
is going on)

mfga.sdr
IOhannes