[PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Sun Jun 25 11:43:05 CEST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 14:51 -0700, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> I suppose it would be possible if the DD devs started
> submitted patches to the patch tracker.  Miller accepts the majority
> of them these days.

i admire you enthusiasm, but from my own experience, i must state, that
the pd development process is not as interactive as you describe ...
the biggest problem is that no one knows, if a patch will apply to
future versions of pd ... i did a lot of porting of patches from 0.38 to
0.39, and i definitely don't want to go through this process again ...

> So there has been much talk over the years about doing this, I think
> there needs to be more action.  Any volunteers?

well, i guess, the volunteers are there and they took action ... but
they don't work on miller's branch ...
matju and chun did quite some work on desire data, forking from miller's
pd, and i'm writing my own engine, which will be combined with christian
klippel's gui 'karma' ...
while pnpd/karma is rewritten from scratch and thus wouldn't be
interesting for the future of the pd development, i guess, that the
desire data developers doubt that their code would be included into
miller's pd ... (this is somehow understandable, as it's not only a 5
lines patch)
i was following this discussion with great interest, but i'm still
remembering guenter's tool tips patch, that where written for 0.38 and
ported to 0.39 ... they are not a big patch, but it never made it into
miller's pd ...

imo, the problem of pd's development is not the lack of ideas, but the
lack of collaboration ...

tim

--
tim at klingt.org    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk

Avoid the world, it's just a lot of dust and drag and means nothing in
the end.
  Jack Kerouac