[PD-dev] tooltips ideas (was: Re: [PD-dev] displaying when an arg has been overridden)

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Wed Jun 28 15:53:39 CEST 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> geiger wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >> one problem with the tool tips patch is, that miller accepted my patch
> >> for up/downsampling long ago (btw, i am very thankful for this): both
> >> use the arguments to the [inlet~], but disagree on the meaning of these
> >> arguments.
> >
> > I think this is not the real problem, as up/downsampling could be
> > specified through other means and backwards compatibility could be
> > maintained easily.
>
> seems like a bit blindfolded...

why ?

> the simplest way would of course be to just ignore the fact (on the
> users side) that there is an additional word (e.g. "linear") in the
> comment.

thats a good idea, one could then implement the different upsampling
methods through standard pd objects that take a zero padded input
signal.

> e.g [inlet~ linear center frequency] would do linear resampling
> and have a tooltip "linear center frequency" which in fact should read
> only "center frequency" but might be ok as a simple workaround (requires
> the user to be aware of the whole thing); even better if you do [inlet~
> linear - center frequency]....

I think for backwards compatibility it is enough to detect "linear" and
do the right thing. I do not expect that everybody will add tooltips to
the inlets everytime.

> however, what exactly do you mean with "through other means"?

One possiblity would be to supply the upsampling information together
with the upsampling factor, in the block object.
Or the above mentioned method of having an object for different
up/downsampling methods.

I just wanted to state that there are solutions to the problem. Which one
gets chosen or if your proposal of #G objects get implemented can be
decided after considering advantages and disadvantages. The original
tooltips patch didn't interfere with the functionality of upsampling at
all, so calling my arguments blindfolded is a bit, hum, short-sighted, I'd
say.

Günter