[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-1516869 ] hide object name+args with gop

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 4 13:55:47 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> this is related to feature request [ 1491020 ]
>
> I had a quick look: That's quite nice and very useful. Of course it
> also has the problem, that now looking at a patch and a printed patch
> won't give away all of it's workings. One cannot even say, if a
> certain object is of a certain kind just by looking at it (see
> attached patch: the left toggle in fact is a subpatch). So this
> feature has to be used with great care.

yes this is true. (otoh, there are already ways to circumvent the
"printed patch" paradigm: just hide your objects with a canvas).
furthermore, it makes gop-objects more like the real graphical objects
(like iemgui).

> I think it would be nice if I didn't need to open the GUI dialog
> everytime I want to edit the object. Something like showing the object
> name and argument automatically, if an object is selected in edit mode
> would be a useful improvement.

i totally agree, though i think that the 2 are not directly related.
personally i would prefer a small editor outside of the patch (like in a
status-line at the bottom of the window), similar to the edit-field in
widespread spreadshit apps.
see also feature request [1491020].

so: i didn't take care of this problem since i thought it should be
solved separately.

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes