[PD-dev] commit troubles WAS Re: [PD] Re: Fwd: another developer

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 11 01:53:34 CEST 2006

We should keep this on the list since other people besides me can
answer this question, perhaps quicker too, and it might be of general
interest.

On Jul 5, 2006, at 9:32 AM, João Miguel Pais wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying in ubuntu to put my things in the repository, but it
> doesn't seem to work. I'll go on from the last mail you sent me:
>
>> Ok, I added you.
>>
>> jmmmp
>>
>> These are the basic commands you'll need:
>>
>> cvs checkout
>> cvs update
>> cvs commit
>> cvs add
>> cvs remove
>>
>> To start with, make your own folder, and put your stuff in there.
>> If you are only going to be working with .pd files, then make it
>> in the "abstractions" section, otherwise make it in the
>> "externals" section.
>>
>> Here's how:
>>
>> cvs checkout externals
>> cd externals
>> mkdir jmmmp
>
> worked (replace externals with abstractions)
>

>> cvs add jmmmp
>
> which would in my computer translate to
> cvs -d:pserver:jmmmp at pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/pure-
> data add jmmmp

You can set the env var CVSROOT, they you don't need the long -d
statement:

bash:
export CVSROOT=":pserver:jmmmp at pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/
pure-data"

tcsh:
setenv CVSROOT ":pserver:jmmmp at pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/
pure-data"

> doesn't work, with the error message:
>
> cvs server: -m wrapper option is not supported remotely; ignored

This doesn't matter, its just a warning.  I suppose I should remove
it... another thing for the TODO list.

> cvs [add aborted]: there is a version in jmmmp already

Its already there, so now just put files in that folder and add them
too.  Something like:

cd jmmmp
cp /path/to/myobject.pd .
cvs add myobject.pd

Then when they are in place and added, check them in:

cd ..
cvs commit -m "adding blah blah objects from the blah collection that
I made way back when" jmmsp

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith