[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Bugs-1518030 ] GOP subpatch clearing itself crashes Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 13 04:31:00 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Another solution is to go back to using A_FLOAT as I was doing before. I
> dropped using a pair A_FLOAT when I implemented 64-bit support. If I go
> back to A_FLOAT it will be using 3 A_FLOAT.

I mean that I'm only using the nonnegative integer subset of float. That's
24 bits, from 0 to 16777215. A 32-bit pointer can fit in two such ints,
but a 64-bit pointer needs a third such int.

(actually, today's 64-bit pointers use less than 48 bits, so they could
fit in two floats with some special tricks, but it's not even worth
thinking about it.)

Not limiting myself to integer floats, though, I could simply cast a
void** to a float* and call it an array of 2 floats. I don't know why I
didn't do it that way. Superstitions, prolly.