[PD-dev] Re: [PD] building HID from the CVS, errors

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Aug 10 08:00:57 CEST 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, David Merrill wrote:
> now.. what would be *really* nice would be if fresh versions all of the
> externals could be "apt-gotten" with apt-get (I guess this would be
> linux-only).. It's become quite convenient on Ubuntu to type:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install puredata pd-zexy
>
> ..and have it all just work. :) Anyone know if this is easy to set up?

It is quite easy to setup an external debian package repository, but
getting the packages into Debian/Ubuntu is a bit harder (remember the
Gem borkage on Ubuntu ?), and I still haven't decided how/if to go about
it.

There are several issues I am not feeling very comfortable about, and
considering that doing the packaging of pd stuff for Debian has been a
rather rewardless job in the past I doubt that I will take that burden.

I think the best would be if we do Debian packages for an external
apt-gettable repository, this would also make it easier to keep them
up to date etc.

Günter