[PD-dev] Re: [GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 01:43:43 CEST 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:23 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey hans++,
>
> I'm just getting back into pT development and downloaded the latest
> autobuild pd-extended. (test5)
>
> Seems a few things are not quite working yet. When I start pd-
> extended I
> get:
>
> Gem: can't load library
>  iemmatrix: can't load library
>  mtx: can't load library
>  pdp: can't load library
>  pidip: can't load library
>
> I see that "Gem" is not in the extended release, I guess due to the
> gem
> build issues.
>
> Since the ftgl and freetype libs don't change much should they just be
> compilied manually and copied onto the compile farm? Looks like the
> OSX
> gem terminal build is pretty close to being ready according to
> IOhannes.

CVS or native-OS package management are the only options for the auto-
build farm.  FTGL and FreeType should just be checked into CVS, i.e.
GemLibs, if they are not included in Fink/Debian/Fedora Core

> also seems pool is missing. I guess I'll have to checkout
> everything on
> the laptop and try and build the whole monster myself and see whats
> going on.

No one's gotten that stuff working with the Pd-extended build system.
The flext build stuff is strange and it seems Gem is making progress
with the ./configure stuff.  Really, its just a matter of someone
doing the work.  If either build system uses the GNU standard
'DESTDIR' and 'prefix' variables correctly, then the install targets
should be easy.  Otherwise those will have to be implemented.

> Hans, what is the most recent build of pd-extended 0.39 that works?
> (as
> in as well as the older test1 test builds did?)

The manually assembled test versions have Gem and flext binaries in
them:

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

I am no longer doing manual test versions.

> Thanks all.
> I can help with compiling stuff on OSX/Linux but where are we at for
> getting Gem into the autobuild? Are the gem sources in a place
> where the
> build can get them?

This is all up the gem devs.  The framework is in place, Gem just
needs to be plugged in.

.hc