[PD-dev] Re: [GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 18:41:32 CEST 2006

On Aug 11, 2006, at 4:37 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Aug 10, 2006, at 4:23 PM, B. Bogart wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that "Gem" is not in the extended release, I guess due to
>>> the  gem
>>> build issues.
>>>
>>> Since the ftgl and freetype libs don't change much should they
>>> just be
>>> compilied manually and copied onto the compile farm? Looks like
>>> the  OSX
>>> gem terminal build is pretty close to being ready according to
>>> IOhannes.
>> CVS or native-OS package management are the only options for the
>> auto- build farm.  FTGL and FreeType should just be checked into
>> CVS, i.e.  GemLibs, if they are not included in Fink/Debian/Fedora
>> Core
>
> honestly i do not see a reason why _i_ should have to go through
> all the troubles to make FTGL compile from the command line on a
> platform that does not natively support this.

We are talking about managing files on 10+ machines running Windows,
Mac OS X 10.3 and 104, and Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and Debian, on
PowerPC and x86.  I have better things to do that track down all this
stuff and build it from source.

> i _do_ have managed to build FTGL via autoconf/make, but it is not
> the _official_ way to build it and the build might have issues
> (e.g. i used the X11 openGL which might not be such a good idea in
> general).
> building freetype2 on os-x via autoconf is pretty easy, but (afaik)
> it _needs_ to be "install"ed in order to function properly, which
> involves privileges i would not grant on an autobuild farm. (i
> might be wrong here though)
>
> the simplest way i could think of (in terms of maintainability) is
> to provide binary GemLibs packages for special platforms:
> e.g. GemLibs/lib/ftgl.a
> and  GemLibs/include/freetype2/
>
> so we just need to add "-I${GEMLIBS}/include" and "-L${GEMLIBS}/
> lib" to the default make-flags.
>

> another possibility would be to not have FTGL-support on the
> autobuilt Gem (after all font-rendering is really an optional
> feature).

Another option, which I think would be the best use of time, would be
to make packages for the various OS's.  I think Debian might have
FTGL packages already, and Fink is a Debian derivative, so a Fink
package should be pretty easy to do.  I don't know about Fedora Core,
but Nando expressed interest in making packages for dependencies for
PlanetCCRMA.

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli