[PD-dev] Re: [GEM-dev] pdextended autobuild august 10th 2006

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Aug 11 19:04:12 CEST 2006

I understand that.  But still, managing source builds is a lot of
work when multiplied by 10+, even when the software is "done".  I
don't want to have to build it even once.  Right now, I can install
many, many packages using Fink/apt-get/yum with basically one
command:  "fink install ..." or "apt-get install ..." or "yum
install ..."

.hc

On Aug 11, 2006, at 12:52 PM, B. Bogart wrote:

> Hey Hans,
>
> I think Johannes's real argument is that FTGL is "done" and is
> probably
> not going to change at all anymore. Due to this it takes less time to
> build the FTGL static libs on each platform than it is to make FTGL
> play
> nice in the autobuild system, when the sources will not change. Of
> course bugs *could* come up though...
>
> Seems like freetype2 compiles fine from the cmd line for all
> platforms.
>
> So whats the next step?
>
> ..b..
>

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> We are talking about managing files on 10+ machines running Windows,
>> Mac OS X 10.3 and 104, and Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and Debian, on
>> PowerPC
>> and x86.  I have better things to do that track down all this
>> stuff and
>> build it from source.

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams