[PD-dev] easy way to download the whole shebang

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Sat Aug 12 18:35:18 CEST 2006

On Sat Aug 12, 2006 at 11:08:16AM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> SourceForge also has Subversion we can use.  I think we all agreed in the past that the SourceForge repository would be the best one for now.

why is the Sourceforge repository best? they have by far the worst uptime record among the leading centralized project hosts like Google Code, Berlios, Savannah, Launchpad. plus their website is horrible.

> As for the transition, its going to be a lot of work.

why is it going to be a lot of work? i recently converted all my projects to git - just a matter typing 'git-svnimport /var/svn'. theres also a git-cvsimport, which i haven't tried, but is presumably just as simple since SVN is just CVS with a few annoyance fixes. every last commit was retained, down to the tags and log messages, all with no effort on my part. free software can be great..

> I think the only thing preventing it from happening is someone taking the lead on that
> project.  Its yours if you want it.

telling someone who doesnt even have commit access (i think, never seen the name in the commit emails) to 'take the lead' on the transition is silly. assuming there is a svn-cvsimport script (and assuming you want to switch to SVN, imo the time to do that was around 3 years ago - now there are better tools like git and mercurial), it boils down to do you find CVS annoying enough to want to switch? Tim has shifted from work on devel to a rewrite occuring in his SVN repository, so the main people to ask would be Mathieu and Chun working on DesireData, and HCS working on builds and documentation. we already know Miller doesn't like CVS..

c,c