[PD-dev] easy way to download the whole shebang

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Aug 12 23:48:14 CEST 2006

Hallo,
Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> Yep... I could switch to subversion easily at any time...

Now that's a word!! ;)

> the hassle is going to be getting the entire CVS repository moved
> over somehow, and I'd guess the only practical way to do it would be
> a wholesale move, all at once, so that people don't get stuck trying
> to keep up with both simultaneously.  I think it would be important
> to get everyone who actively maintains stuff in CVS to agree on when
> and how it should get moved over.

Well, maybe that's the best approach because it is the most simple and
"stupid" one (stupid in a good sense).

> Oh yes, subversion versus git?  Well, I don't know if sourceforge
> supports git, but if they do, that might be the way to go.

AFAIK they don't support git. I've never used git in a project, and
actually I don't think, many people here, or even anyone here, has
used git already. However many have used Subversion, so that would be
the least risky route.

Maybe we could do two things:

First form a SVN Task Force of developers that research how converting
the repository works technically by reading up the SF documents and do
the general planning including some test conversions.  I guess, most
of the repository can be converted easily as there aren't many
branches in use. The Pd sources can be a bit tricky technically
because of MAIN, devel, etc., setting permissions etc. but this has
all been done by other projects in the past.

Then what's left is the social part: We need to make everyone aware of
the upcoming move, freeze the repo for a certain time, do the
conversion and test it. I would suggest to not do any bigger reorganization
of the directory layout in this phase, as moving stuff around becomes
much easier, once we actually run on SVN.

Well, and then we just need to change a lot of links on puredata.info.
Ideally, that is.

Ciao