[PD-dev] Going from CVS to Subversion

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 13 09:56:25 CEST 2006

Hallo,

I'm starting a new thread from "easy way to download the whole
shebang".

The instructions for how to change from CVS to SVN on Sourceforge are
here:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=31070&group_id=1#import

It's a process involving many steps, but not impossible. One thing to
note is that "The migration will be finished within 24 hours. It could
be finished in as soon as an hour or two, depending on the size of
your CVS repository and the number of projects queued for migration in
front of yours."

So if we switch we need to freeze write access to the repo for at
least that time, and probably some more time before and after for
preparing and testing the transformation.

Side note: One thing we should freeze immediatly is accepting new
developers until we either decide to not go SVN, or until the
transformation is done.

So what's left as far as I see it is:

1) developer vote:

  Should the SF repository switch from CVS to SVN on Sourceforge?
  [ ] yes
  [ ] no

2) sort out techical issues with branches, tags etc.

3) find someone (incl. admins!) who volunteers to do the import. I
would volunteer but I wouldn't want to do this completely alone.

4) agree on date

5) do it.

Ciao