[PD-dev] Going from CVS to Subversion

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Aug 13 18:26:12 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>
>>> 1) developer vote:
>>>
>>>   Should the SF repository switch from CVS to SVN on Sourceforge?
>>>   [ ] yes
>>>   [ ] no
>> i am all for it, but: does sourceforge already implement some kind of
>> acl for svn? or can we live without acl's?
>
> Uh, we need to check this. But AFAIK we currently only use the ACL on
> Miller's branch.

there are some other modules too, like iemlib,...

personally i would favour a acl-less system

>>> 2) sort out techical issues with branches, tags etc.
>> for externals i would suggest to split branches on each external
>> separately, (e.g. /externals/zexy/trunk instead of /trunk/externals/zexy
>> or /externals/trunk/zexy)
>
> Yes, I agree with this, but this can be dealt with after The Big
> Change, I suppose. For the externals we also should to take care not
> to break the extended Build-system. Some changes will be necessary to
> the Build of course, because of the usual trunk/tags/branches layout
> in SVN.

well the trunk/tags/branches layout in svn is really just a
recommendation. we need not stick to it.

however, you are right that my proposal would break any BIG build system.

so probably a big /trunk and a big /tags would not be so bad
(with /trunk/pd and /trunk/pd-devel in parallel)
for most externals there are no real "branches" so we could skip this.
and whenever an external (or pd) makes a release, a "shallow" copy would
be made into "/tags" (or "/releases" which i prefer)

> I cannot really comment on how to best deal with the branches of Pd's
> sources.
>
>>> 3) find someone (incl. admins!) who volunteers to do the import. I
>>> would volunteer but I wouldn't want to do this completely alone.
>> i would volunteer too, however i don't see any advantage in having 2 (or
>> more) persons involved in the migration. (probably when they are at the
>> same terminal, like with XP, then there might be a benefit)
>
> Let's do it mid-September then, when I'm in Graz. ;)

sounds like a good idea.
so anybody who wants to join the migration from cvs to svn should come
to graz in september ;-)

mfg.adsr.
IOhannes