[PD-dev] [initbang]: any use?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Aug 21 19:06:10 CEST 2006

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> i just submitted a patch against the 0.40-prerelease that adds a new
> object [initbang], which can be used to trigger a constructor in an
> abstraction.
>
> this allows to have abstractions with runtime customizable constructors,
> especially variable inlets/outlets.

I like this. ;)

> what is still missing is the possibility for an abstraction to do
> something before it is destroyed.

This would be even better. For example in [sssad] I'm using the
singleton.pd we once made together. This implements the singleton
pattern in a naive way by just incrementing a [value] and dynamically
creating its first argument as an object, if the counter still is
zero.

Now if you use several of these and then delete the one that was
created first, you are in fact deleting your single instance of the
singleton-managed object and all hell breaks loose. Kind of. For
fixing this, a closebang would be the first thing that is needed.

Ciao