[PD-dev] configuration : .pdrc, preference dialog... s-lang

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Tue Aug 22 04:25:16 CEST 2006

On Mon Aug 21, 2006 at 08:29:13PM -0400, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2006, at 3:08 AM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Alexandre Quessy wrote:
> >
> >>I would like to know where the configuration system of pd is heading to. I have read many
> >>months ago that the ~/.pdrc was deprecated....
> >
> >in DesireData, ~/.pdrc is not deprecated, and there's an editor for it.
> >(the first release of DesireData is approaching quickly)
>
> I think you should reconsider.  I think that we should try to make Pd more platform-native, which
> Miller's new prefs stuff is a step towards.

what exactly does serializing the preferences to 3 completely different formats offer, besidse 3x the code to maintain? i never really understood that switch..which occured the same time programs like Mozilla were doing the opposite - unifying the prefs and profile storage across platforms.

i guess its just one of the mysteries of PD :)