[PD-dev] [ pure-data-Patches-1544083 ] alternative names for [list] objects

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Aug 23 09:57:10 CEST 2006

SourceForge.net wrote:
> Submitted By: IOhannes m zm�lnig (zmoelnig)
> [list append]  == [list/append]
> [list prepend] == [list/prepend]
> [list trim]    == [list/trim]
> [list split]   == [list/split]
>

>> Comment By: Hans-Christoph Steiner (eighthave)
>
> I think this is a bad idea.  If there is going to use the
> namespace-style prefix, then the underlying library should
> be formatted the same way.  I don't think its useful to have
> yet another special case for the list objects, which this
> would be, especially when it does not add any new
> functionality at all.

i don't understand. what is the "library" you are talking about?

the "special case" for the list objects is there use of ' ' (space) in
the names (the arguments to [list] define its functionality).
replacing the space with a slash brings (imo) the objects back into the
usual world, where the objects name defines the functionality.

i chose "/" as separator as it fits neatly into the libdir format and
allows to have "list" objects both compiled into pd and external (like
abstractions) to be used the same.

> This could be achieved by compiling the list objects as a
> libdir.

how do you compile internal objects as a libdir?

mfg.adr.
IOhannes